The Man Utd News Forum Join here!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What does it mean to be aUnited fan?

Tonight is the big one. Liverpool have booked their place in the final now we MUST do the same. We are the best team in England and indeed in Europe and WE deserve to be at that final just as much as our biggest rivals. Milan is a difficult place to go, but we should believe… we must believe that this season it is our destiny!

We talk a lot about 99’ when we get to this point of the season and it got me thinking, I would like to know what it means to all the readers what it means to be a Manchester United fan. I was sat watching the game last night and yes it was tense, but for me, it just doesn’t come close to watching Manchester United. Tonight I will be singing, chanting, cheering and hopefully not crying. These are the games that shape any fan’s experiences of being a fan, so instead of talking line-ups and formations today, I would invite you all to tell me what it means to be a red and some of your fondest memories of being a fan?

I’ll kick things off! I’m sure a number of you will say that your fondest memory was winning the European cup and I am no different. I remember sitting on the sofa at the time, (I couldn’t make it over to Barcelona unfortunately) we were 1-0 down and weren’t playing particularly well. My heart was breaking inside. We were losing to the German’s, something I had already experienced a couple of times in international football. The boys were tired with no apparent way back into the game.

Then came those commentators words, “United must score.. They always score”. Ferguson had just hauled of our two strikers, Yorke and Cole and replaced them with Ole and Sheringham. It was the last minute, all was over. Then it came… a goal from nowhere and we were staring extra time in the face. I was jumping around the living room and right there and then I knew, this was a team that believed in themselves so much, that they could win this! With adrenaline pumping through my veins from the first goal I sat back with a huge grin on my face.

Then came the second! I knew at that point that these boys would go down in history. We had won the Champion’s league from the clutches of defeat, and it was against the Germans. I look back on that day now and think to myself. That was the pinnacle. You don’t get much better than that as a fan.

The next few years was a steady decline. For most fans that would be enough to last a life time. But not Man Utd fans. We are back bigger and arguably better than before. We can challenge and we can win, I think our players know that! So this morning, let me know what is your fondest memory of being a Man Utd fan and why?

I’m just gonna put this video in again because I love it. You may have already seen it, but to be honest I don’t care. COME ON YOU REDS.. UNITED FOREVER!

4 comments:

Gentleman said...

Hi dude, I share with you some experience of being a United fan too.

Winning the European Cup is indeed special, moreover a treble victory. But what makes it so special in the victory at the Nou Camp was, we believed in ourselves, we did not give up even we were down 1-0, we tried and gave everything we could and in a moment of magic we hear Teddy Sheringham singing "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!"

I was only primary 5 in 1999, and I will never forget such an experience. I hope to experience it once more, preferably in 2007 as this is our best chance.

Cheers,
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED!

Anonymous said...

For me it goes back to being 7 years old and watching the '68 European Cup Final against Benfica on TV and seeing Best and Charlton.

My first match at OT was the last match of the season against Blackpool in 1975 - got on the pitch at the end and went home with some turf! We had just won promotion back to the 1st Division the previous week at Notts County when we drew 2-2 - now that was something special after a year in the wilderness of the Second Division. That season was my first where myself and a couple of mates from school travelled around watching United play the likes of Notts County, Nottm Forest, Stoke and a host of teams who now make up the lower echelons of the Football League.

I won't go on about the intervening years but '99 topped the lot - the FA semi final replay against Arsenal was just as thrilling and unbelievable as the Juventus and Bayern CL matches. We were down and out in that match with Arsenal being awarded a penalty in the last minute of normal time only to miss it! Totally unbelievable!! Giggsy then went on his amazing run and scored in extra time and the rest as they say was history. We were just at the absoulute top of our game and that form carried on against Juve and our determination got us the victory against Bayern in the Cl final. It was 3-4 weeks that I thought could never be repeated but now it might well be.

There is now a flow to our game that has been missing for a long time and we go into tonights game with Milan full of confidence. But you know what, as much as I want us to win more importantly for me is that we play with the United STYLE. How we play and how we are viewed across the world is more important to me than grafting out 1-0 wins match after match like Chelsea - they disgust me. They have all the money in the world and still play with the mentality of "we mustn't lose". We always play to win and if we don't so be it, as long as we played with the style and flair that our tradition demands I'll be happy. Chelsea play production line football, we don't, never have done and never will.

We're back on top and we're going to fucking well stay there for a long time.

Peace, love and Manchester United to you all.

Anonymous said...

excuse me i'm not able to find the third goal o milan in the Manchester utd web site , some one can help me ?
do you know if Manch has never win a game against Milan AC ? thank you for your kid aswer

ciao

Anonymous said...

Being a Utd fan,....hmmmm, for me, easily sticking with the team till the final whistle. Time and again will tell u those important "last seconds" winning goals scored. The belief that the team will "crank out" an important result, when needed. And most importantly, the belief in SAF's acumen. He may not be 100% but sufficiently enough to earn so much respects in the football world.

For 2007, it had to be the EPL game agst Lpool at Anfield, the last second goal by Oshea. And that result was the key towards the "stay" at the top of the premiership.

Glory2 ManUtd