The Man Utd News Forum Join here!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Man Utd Benfica Match Preview and transfer news

The big game against Benfica looms, with a win an absolute must. It is so important that we top the group if possible. Key men have been rested so there will be no excuses; it’s time for payback against the Portuguese.

The Christmas period is always a packed time in terms of fixtures. We have another big game at the weekend against Man City in a time where every game is crucial. If we beat Man City this weekend we will temporarily be 9 points clear, a healthy margin that will leave Jose and his boys with it all to do, the pressure will be on them.

Back to the Benfica game, I think Fergie will take no chances and elect to play his full strength side. Carrick will return to the midfield, with Fletcher returning to the bench. Giggs should hopefully have enough legs in him for another 90 minutes, as will Scholes and Neville!

Marlowe asked me if I though Saha looked out of sorts during Saturdays game? I have to say he didn’t, he created the first goal with some fancy footwork and converted the penalty very coolly. For the rest of the game he was instrumental in setting up moves instead of scoring them, a quality that has led to the great performances thus far in the league.

It’s only 25 days until the transfer window reopens. Hargreaves as always is on many fans lips. Of course it depends on how his recovery is going from a broken leg, but surely Munich can’t hold out for much longer. Nani is the other option, I think we should definitely lure him to Old Trafford, he looks quality and is good friends with Ronaldo. We also have Larrson coming, if only for 3 months. Those three signings would provide us with enough depth to challenge until the end of the season.

Park and Solskjaer are back in full training. It will be good to have these 2 back. I am really looking forward to seeing more of park ths season as I am sure I have said on many occasions. The games are coming thick and fast, with every one a must win! Bring it on!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go United! i also believe that it is essential to play a full strength squad. Also i think that we need to take advantage of all the chances we get. Lets not forget that Benefica knocked us out last time and they are a very strong attacking side. My prediction is 3-2 to united. My team line up: Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Neville, Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha.

roro said...

Hello my friend, I've enjoyed your recent posts, I'm glad the spirit of your blog has endured since the time there were so few of us reading it. You're now a cult favourite.

I have to agree that Saha did not look well against Boro. In the entire 90 mins, he was involved in just two dangerous plays. I'm glad he got his confidence again, we need him to be consistent from the penalty spot. However, he seemed a bit too relaxed for my taste. I saw no hard work, little effort, and an overall sloppy performance on the ball.

Rooney also seemed a bit out of sorts. Don't get me wrong, he's always been one of the hardest workers out there, and saturday was no different. He ran the whole 90, and defended when needed. Great passing, too. He just looked a little too frustrated when things didn't work out for him. He might be putting a little too much pressure on himself to score, and I think he underestimates his value to the team, even when he doesn't score.

I hope it's just a matter of opinion. I think this attitude in our strikers is due to the fact that there aren't any other fit strikers in the squad. Saturday saw us play Boro without a striker on the bench. I know we had no choice, but something has to be done soon, it's bringing out the wrong attitude in Rooney and Saha. Like I said before, I saw two completely different reactions to not having a threat to come out of the match. Rooney looked like he felt pressure to score, whereas Saha looked like he knew there was no way he was coming out.

The end result is the same, we needed a spot kick and a goal from a midfielder to win the match. I'm not complaining, after all we won. I would just like to see our strikers scoring more regularly.

Larsson will provide experience, and a striker on the bench. I doubt he'll be able to earn a starting place in just 3 months. Let's hope he brings out better performances in our current starting strikers.

I wish our boys the best tomorrow, our strong 11 at home should see us through to the knock out stages of a competition we should be able to win.

Take care, lads.

Agent said...

Hi Jesus,
Indeed we have all come a long way since it all began in July. A big thanks to all those who read the blog and comment, without you guys it wouldn't be the same! The numbers are growing all the time which is great!

As far as Saha is concerned, I think he may still have a hamstring problem and as a result, did not want to push himself, especially knowing we had no cover and had the lead, anyone else think that?

marlowe diego said...

saha: perhaps you're right about him. it was more that he seemed frustrated and didn't seem to get himself in the right positions, but that may well be a result of his hamstring.

i'd like to see him getting service inside the box more and really putting away a few six-yard tap ins.