The Man Utd News Forum Join here!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Torres V Tevez who would you prefer?

Even though we may not sign either, the Carrick V Scholes article raised some interesting points so I would like to throw this one out to you guys. If we could sign either Torres or Tevez which one would it be and why? I will as ever give my synopses, but please feel free to comment.

Lets start with Torres. He is the darling of Athletico Madrid and had a very promising world cup scoring 3 goals (I think). His main attributes are his strength and speed. At 22 he has time to settle into the United line-up and would be a welcome partner to Wayne Rooney who is smaller in Stature but more skilful. Where Torres is most deadly is when he is running at defenders, he has a fierce shot and has the ability to score goals. However his goal scoring record last season was not great, certainly not on a par with RVN 22 and a hefty price tag in excess of £27 million make him seem overpriced.

Tevez offers a slightly different package. He is small in stature with a low centre of gravity. He has the skills to take on defenders and usually win. His creativity is mind blowing at times. I have heard him being called the Argentinean Wayne Rooney, which I can fully understand given his skill set and stature. Like Torres he is young, but would also cost in excess of £25 million in my opinion. Another issue is that in Tevez and Rooney we would lack height upfront which is an obvious issue, as well as neither being an out and out strike, however I think Smith or Saha could take on that role quite comfortably.

So who do I think would be best for United? Having written this I am still struggling to choose, but my gut feeling says Tevez, the thought of Rooney and Tevez up front makes me shudder with excitement. Having said all this watch Chelsea go and buy him now for £345 million
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sign torres/tevez and mascherano wud make our team complete!
gr8 site

Anonymous said...

Tevez without a doubt is world class at the very least. I've thought on each occasion I've seen him that he is a marvellous, tenaciously luxuriant player with faultless technique and the kind of head-down ebullience we could do with more of. I too would shudder with excitement! Torres would be a superb signing also, but I think Tevez edges it. And he got into a bit of bother the other day for wearing a United shirt! There is hope!

Anonymous said...

Tevez without a doubt is world class at the very least. I've thought on each occasion I've seen him that he is a marvellous, tenaciously luxuriant player with faultless technique and the kind of head-down ebullience we could do with more of. I too would shudder with excitement! Torres would be a superb signing also, but I think Tevez edges it. And he got into a bit of bother the other day for wearing a United shirt! There is hope!

robbo said...

Great blog. I think Torres is right because he is single minded and goes for goal. Secondly, he will fit into the English game, speed and all. Tevez needs time and is not a goal getter. We have Rooney for that second striker role so it must be Tevez.

Check out my United blog too http://united1999.blogspot.com/
Shamir

Rich said...

Personally I would go for Torres at the moment, although I've always been a bit wary about his record when all said and done. But he definately has potential.

I've not seen much of Tevez but have heard he's all that and more. My choice of Torres is based on the fact that we don't want two small strikers.

When talking about these types of players you have to consider where they are coming from and what nationalities have done well in the prem, e.g. dutch, french compared to those that haven't done so well e.g spanish, italian (obviously there are exceptions but I'm talking in general.)

On the subject of strikers, I think Dean Ashton will be a good player though seems more Sheringham than Shearer. A definate shortage of class goalscorers around though......

Agent said...

Great comments guys, keep them coming in. I think the point about Tevez being too small is a good one. But then if we played 4-3-3 Rooney and Tevez with Saha or Smith up front, would be scarily good. Although I'm not a fan of 4-3-3

roro said...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=342439&cc=3888

might spell good news for Tevez fans!