The Man Utd News Forum Join here!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Hargreaves on the move and Liverpool being better than us!!

So it looks like a deal is getting closer for the services of Owen Hargreaves to move to Old Trafford this season. The midfield ace was pictured being driven by United officials last night to the Lowry hotel in Salford for showdown talks with the red devils.

I have a few things I need to get off my chest today so bear with me a little. We’ll start with the Owen Hargreaves transfer because I know we all love a bit of transfer gossip. How does it work? Munich have declared that they have absolutely no intention to sell Hargreaves, yet we have supposedly offered him a 5 year deal that he is very happy with. The player said as much in his interview. Are we guilty of tapping him up? But if we were guilty of such a crime then wouldn’t Bayern Munich be telling the press as much and submitting a complaint to the FA about it? Something just doesn’t seem right to me.

I think that Bayern are coming to the table wanting to do business. The sale would represent a massive profit for the player they have nurtured since he was 16. To keep the fans happy (for a little while at least) they are outlining their determination to keep a player who clearly wants to take the next step in his career.

If this is the case there is the issue of price. How much would you be willing to pay for the midfield ball winner? Hargreaves turned down an £8 million move to Middlesbrough last season citing that he wanted champions league football. Bayern now want £18 million for him whilst Fergie is believed to be offering £13 million. Personally I think another performance related structure to the value of about £16 million would be a very good offer and one that Bayern would struggle to refuse.

I would like to mention the Glazers at this point. They get a lot of stick in the press and by fans about them bleeding the club dry, running huge debts and the rest. Now I have to say I wasn’t ecstatic about them taking control, but if they were to spend heavily on Hargreaves I think it would go some way to alleviating fans fears that we are cash strapped. As far as I’m concerned, as long as they continue to run the club so that it competes at the highest level I will be happy, oh and don’t put ticket prices up too much Mr Glazer, we are a family club so don’t price them out of the market. To be honest I don’t think they have put a foot wrong since they came in, they have negotiated better sponsorship deals and expanded the stadium and provided transfer money when Fergie needed it most. Obviously time will tell though.

Now let’s talk about Liverpool. Why is everyone getting so excited about them? If we sign Hargreaves I fail to see how they have a better team than us. Ok they have Gerrard and he is a great talent, the best midfielder in the world in my opinion. But our back 4 is far superior to theirs. Our strike force in Rooney and Saha beats Crouch and Bellamy hands down. It even beats Bellamy and Kuyt no problem. In Smith, Rossi and Solskjaer we have some great backup. The only area they may be slightly better than us is in midfield and I don’t reckon the gap is that great. Ronaldo is one of the best wingers in the world. Giggs is still class. Scholes Carrick and Hargreaves is a formidable central midfield ordering and Park and Richardson are young promising players. Sorry I just can’t see how Liverpool are better, I really can’t.

I really feel that this is our season. We have the experience of winning titles, we have the passion and now we have the quality. Let’s go out there on Sunday and tear up the field. As always please leave your comments

3 comments:

mr mediocre said...

do liverpool make it their business to sign all the most obnoxious players around. Bellamy, Pennant,Fowler, Julian Dicks, Neil Ruddock,what a bunch of cunts

Anonymous said...

Now Now clonefunkasaurus, we'll have less of that sort of language. Fowler and Bellamy, two of the most disgusting words in the English premiership!

Actually I can envisage a few problems in the dressing room at Liverpool this season with those two and Pennant. All good news for us.

mr mediocre said...

yeah, theyll prob all end up in prison!!!