The Man Utd News Forum Join here!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Name your first eleven. You may buy 1 extra player!

Ok let's have some fun today. I'm feeling in a really good mood, I’ve done the United news so now it's time to get your opinions. The season starts in less than 3 weeks (I just can't wait) but with another 4 weeks of transfer activity to go we still have time to strengthen. So I put it to you all to name me your starting 11 as of now and a bench. You should also detail the formation you will use. You may also buy 1 extra player and please give your reasons as to why. As always I'll go first then you can all tell me I'm wrong!

Goal keeper: VDS
Right Back: Gary Neville
Centre back: Rio Ferdinand
Centre Back: Brown
Left Back: Heinze
Right Wing: Ronaldo
Centre midfield: Carrick
Centre midfield: Scholes
Left wing: Park
Striker: Rooney
Striker: Saha

Bench
Sub1: Foster
sub2: Brown
sub3: Giggs
sub4: Smith
sub5: Solskjaer

Player to buy:
You know who I'm going to say.... None other than Mascherano. He is young, a great tackler and will run up and down the field all day long. I also believe we are thin on the ground in midfield still, despite carrick’s arrival.

Formation:
the classic 4-4-2 with Carrick staying back being the distributor and Scholes running forward being the creator for Rooney and Saha, I would have Rooney dropping deeper so that he can feed Saha and run at defenders like we know he loves to do.

If Mascherano came in I would switch to 4-3-3, have Mascherano as the holding player, Carrick and Scholes playing next to each other and Saha, Rooney and Ronaldo playing up front. I'd probably have Rooney and Ronaldo sitting a little deeper pushing Saha up front as more of a lone striker. If I played this formation I would swap Smith and Saha periodically.

Just copy this template and add your own line-up in the comments..
comments..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes

Anonymous said...

Goal keeper: VDS
Right Back: Gary Neville
Centre back: Rio Ferdinand
Centre Back: David May
Left Back: Heinze
Right Wing: Dong
Centre midfield: Carrick
Centre midfield: Rossi
Left wing: Giggs
Striker: Rooney
Striker: Solskjaer

Bench
Sub1: Foster
sub2: Brown
sub3: Scholes
sub4: Smith
sub5: Bardsley

Player to buy: Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Rich said...

To be honest mate don't think you're far off with this team apart from the fact the Wes is playing and also a sub!

My Team

Goal keeper: VDS
Right Back: Gary Neville
Centre back: Rio Ferdinand
Centre Back: Brown
Left Back: Heinze
Right Wing: Ronaldo
Centre midfield: Carrick
Centre midfield: Scholes
Left wing: Giggs
Striker: Rooney
Striker: Saha

Bench
Sub1: Foster
sub2: O'Shea
sub3: Park
sub4: Smith
sub5: Rossi

The choice of O'Shea on the bench is based on his versatility and can play LB, CB (arguably!) or DM.

Giggs comes into the team for experience and he'll make more of an impact from the start and Park will make more of an impact from the bench. Gives us some fluidity to switch to 4-3-3 is required.

And Rossi on the bench because I think he can be awesome and has the ability so needs more time around the 1st team this year.

As for one signing, a striker but who? If we can't get Torres then maybe wait a while. Alternatively as you a say a midfielder and yes Mascherano is the way forward.

Out of interest what would your second team be (including subs from the above) Here's mine.

Goal keeper: Foster
Right Back: Bardsley
Centre back: Vidic
Centre Back: Silvestre/Pique
Left Back: Evra
Right Wing: Solskjaer
Centre midfield: Fletcher
Centre midfield: O'Shea/Jones
Left wing: Park
Striker: Rossi
Striker: Smith

PS - Loving this blog - a place where we can chat without the usual crap that is on messageboards.

Agent said...

Thanks Rich. I will think on the second team at lunch time and post back with it. I’m thinking it will be a similar lineup to yours, maybe with a slight tweak lol. With the Wes issue, I posted in another comment that it was a tough decision between him and Vidic. I think at the moment Wes is by far the better defender but I based this team on my feeling that Vidic will grow in confidence this term and Wes can provide cover for both centre-back and right back as a sub. Does that make sense?
I was considering letting anyone post on the comments section as I feel a little totalitarian choosing which posts to put up, but the spammers have already surfaced posting crappy links. My philosophy here is any opinions go as long as they are not offensive or racist and aren't full of swearing. And if you have a topical site post it up, that's what it's all about in my opinion.