The Man Utd News Forum Join here!

Monday, August 14, 2006

Rooney wants extended contract, Ronaldo setting the world on fire and only 5 days to go until the start of the season!!

So it’s Monday morning and we’re all feeling fresh to face the week ahead.. ahem. After taking the weekend off from posting I spent my time reading the papers, trying to gage what the press think of our prospects for the season ahead. A lot of it made interesting reading and I will talk about them in this article.

The first one is the fact that Rooney wants to commit his future to the club for life. I am glad that the greatest prospect in British football wants to see out his entire career at United, but do we really need to offer him a contract until he is 30 something?

One thing it does show is the special relationship that he and Fergie have. The Nike advert that always amuses me is the one where Wayne is running around on the training ground with Fergie yelling “pass the ball Wayne, pass the ball”. Fergie then turns to the camera and says “he’ll be the death of me that boy.” In a joking fashion. The 20 year old has already learned so much from our prolific manager and it is testimony to the respect that Fergie demands from the younger players. Wayne would not want to be anywhere else. He wants to win trophies for United and no-one else.

Ronaldo continued his crusade to endear Man Utd fans on Saturday against Sevilla. He scored one goal and set the other up. I said in a previous article that Ronaldo should answer his critics with his football and he seems to be doing just that. Ronaldo is another player who has seen the unquestionable support from Ferguson over a difficult month for him. He should be glad that he has a manager like Ferguson over the next few months as things will be decidedly uncomfortable for Ronaldo, until a new England scape goat arrives on the scene.

I thought I’d save the most important one until last. The new season starts in 5 days time. Yes only 5 days to go until the largest league in the world kicks off. We play Fulham at home on the Sunday. Is anyone going to be there? Let me know if you are! I will be getting there early for a bit of banter before the game and to meat with fellow fans who have not seen for a few months. I love the first game of the season, the atmosphere is electric. What are your predictions for the game? I am going with 2-0 to us, Saha and Solskjaer to score.

Right now it’s over to you guys. What I want to know today is:
1) Should we offer Rooney an extended contract?
2) What do you think of Ronaldo’s performances so far? And how do you think he will perform this season for us?
3) Is anyone going to the Fulham game this weekend? And what do you think the score will be along with scorers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Yes, we should move heaven and earth to make sure Wayne stays at United until the day he dies.

2) I seem to remember Ronnie looking awesome in pre-season before and he always looks good and scores goals when playing for Portugal but he never carries it over into the league for United. Maybe it's because most of the pre-season games are against inferior opposition or maybe it's the fact that he clearly doesn't care about United and is counting the days until he gets a big money move to Spain, I wouldn't presume to know. Either way he's not welcome at United as far as I'm concerned and I'd rather he was sent on his way leaving us with plenty of funds for a new striker and a new midfielder, preferably ones who actually want to play for the club.

3)No, sadly I couldn't get a ticket, will hopefully be there when we thrash the Gooners though.

Agent said...

I'll definately be there against the gooners. We will thrash them as per usual. Henry will be poor as he always is, and Rooney will score twice! It' a tuesday night this time isn't it?

I think Ronaldo should be given a chance personally. The press have waged a vendetta against him and have been as much to blame for trying to engineer a move out of England as his agent has. I don't blame him for being worried about playing in England this season, such is the fickle nature of some football fans in this country. The person responsible for Wayne's sending off was...Wayne